Phone: +1 (617) 715-2451
Email: hardjono [at] mit.edu
Short Bio: Dr Thomas Hardjono is currently the CTO of Connection Science and Technical Director of the MIT Trust-Data Consortium, located at MIT in Cambridge, MA. For several years prior to this he was the Executive Director of the MIT Kerberos Consortium, helping make the Kerberos protocol to become the most ubiquitously deployed authentication protocol in world today. Over the past two decades Thomas he has held various industry technical leadership roles, including Distinguished Engineer at Bay Networks, Principal Scientist at VeriSign PKI, and CTO roles at several start-ups. He has been at the forefront of several industry initiatives around identity, data privacy, trust, applied cryptography, and cybersecurity.
Aside from various open source software projects, he has held leadership roles in various standards organizations (as specifications editor; working group chair; board member): Trusted Computing Group (cybersecurity of systems); Open Music Initiative (smart contracts for music licensing); Internet Engineering Task Force (public-key certificates, multicast authentication & Kerberos); Kantara Initiative (decentralized identity management); Open Interconnect Forum (IoT security); OASIS Security Services Task Force (Security Assertions Mark-Up Language); IEEE 802 TGi (for WiFi Security).
Current Projects & Activities:
- IETF Blockchain Interoperability, Gateways and Digital Assets Protocol:
- MIT Digital Tradecoin, CBDC & Cryptocurrency:
- Time for a New Digital Bretton Woods (Barron's, June 2021)
- Future Directions for Regulated Private Wallets and VASP Trust Infrastructures, IEEE ICBC2021 (Short PDF; Long PDF)
- Attestations of Blockchain Nodes, WWW Journal 2021 (PDF)
- Blockchain Gateways, Bridges and Delegated Hash-Locks, Feb 2021 (PDF)
- A Contract Service Provider Model for Virtual Assets, P2P Financial Systems International Workshop, December 2020 (PDF)
- Travel Rule Information Sharing Architecture for Virtual Asset Service Providers (TRISA), v7 June 2020 (PDF)
- Wallet Attestations for Virtual Asset Service Providers and Crypto-Assets Insurance. May 2020 (PDF).
- Claims-Exchange Networks for Virtual Asset Service Providers, IEEE 2nd Intl Conferece on Blockchain & Cryptocurrency (ICBC2020), May 2020 (PDF).
- Public Key Management Framework for Virtual Assets and Virtual Asset Service Providers (VASP), Journal of FinTech (to appear, 2020) (PDF)
- Compliant Solutions for VASPs, May 2019, presentation to the FATF Private Sector Consultative Forum (PSCF) 2019, Vienna (6 May 2019) (PDF).
- Digital Trade Coin: Towards a More Stable Digital Currency, Journal of the Royal Society Open Science (RSOS), July 2018 (PDF).
- Narrow Banks and Fiat Backed Digital Coins, Capco Institute Journal, April 2018. (PDF)
- Open Algorithms as Smart Contracts: Enabling Future Data Markets using Blockchain Technology, ICIS 2017, Seoul (PDF).
- Congressional Blockchain Roundtable Report: The Impact of Blockchain for Government (PDF).
- Thomas Hardjono and Alex Pentland, "On Privacy-Preserving Identity within Future Blockchain Systems", W3C Workshop on Distributed Ledgers on the Web, June 2016.
- Blockchain Infrastructure:
- Decentralized Trusted Computing Base for Blockchain Infrastructure Security, Frontiers in Blockchain Journal, December 2019 (PDF).
- Towards an Interoperability Architecture for Blockchain Autonomous Systems, IEEE Transactions on Eng. Mgmt Special Issue on Blockchain Ecosystem 2019 (PDF).
- Decentralized Service Architecture of OAuth2.0 using Smart Contracts, Feb 2017 (IETF Draft).
- IoT device commisioning using blockchains, Proceedings of ACM IoT Privacy, Trust & Security, 2016 (PDF).
- Thomas Hardjono, Patrick Deegan, John Henry Clippinger, Social Uses Cases for the ID3 Mustard Seed Platform, IEEE Technology & Society, September 2014.
- Thomas Hardjono, Patrick Deegan, John Henry Clippinger, On the Design of Trustworthy Compute Frameworks for Self-Organizing Digital Institutions, 16th International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction HCI2014, June 2014.
- J. Zic and T. Hardjono, Towards a cloud-based integrity measurement service, Journal of Cloud Computing: Advances, Systems and Applications 2013, 2:4 (Springer) doi:10.1186/2192-113X-2-4. (PDF)
- Open Music and Smart Contracts:
- Towards an Open and Scalable Music Metadata Layer (PDF)
- Billboard Article: Why Success of the Music Modernization Act Depends on Open Standards.
- MIT/Berklee Open Music and Raidar.
- Blockchains and Crypto Music (MIT, May 2019)
- Digital Identity, Data Privacy and User-Centric Consent:
- Decentralized Data Infrastructures for the Data-Driven Society, May 2021 (IETF DIN RG - Decentralized Internet Infrastructure).
- Federated Authorization over Access to Personal Data for Decentralized Identity Management, IEEE Communications Magazine special issue: The Dawn of the Internet Identity Layer and the Role of Decentralized Identity, December 2019 (PDF).
- Data Cooperatives: Towards a Foundation for Decentralized Personal Data Management (PDF)
- WSJ Article (April 2018): Digital Identity is Broken. (PDF)
- Identity/Blockchain Analysis Report 2018 (Kantara Initiative)
- Open Algorithms for Identity Federation, IEEE Future of Information & Communications Conference 2018 (PDF).
- Owner-Centric Identity Management (User Managed Access (UMA) Core Specification)
- Verifiable Anonymous Identities and Access Control in Permissioned Blockchains (2015 draft, PDF)
- IoT Secure Key Management: Simplified Key Management Protocol for IoT devices (IETF).
- Security Assertions Markup Language (SAML), SAML2.0 & SAML2.1, OASIS Security Services TC.
- Personal Data Stores and Safe-Answers (MIT OpenPDS 2.0)
- Hardware-rooted Identity and Trusted Computing (Trusted Computing Group - Infrastructure WG)
- Group-Key Management (RFC3547) and IP Multicast (RFC3740)
MIT Courses I currently help teach: 15.376/MAS.664 Media Ventures ~ Media Lab Entrepreneurship & Digital Innovations
Some other publications:
- Eduardo Castelló Ferrer, Ognjen (Oggi) Rudovic, Thomas Hardjono, Alexander ('Sandy') Pentland, RoboChain: A Secure Data-Sharing Framework for Human-Robot Interaction, (PDF).
- Thomas Hardjono, "Owner-Centric Access Management for IoT Data", in New
- D. Greenwood, A. Stopczynski, B. Sweatt, T. Hardjono, A. Pentland, "The New Deal on Data: A Framework for Institutional Controls", in Lane et al. (ed), Privacy, Big Data and the Public Good, Oxford University Press, 2014.
- T. Hardjono and L. Dondeti, Security in WLANs and WMANs, Artech-House, London. 2005.
- T. Hardjono and L. Dondeti, Multicast and Group Communications, Artech-House, London, 2003.
- J. Pieprzyk, T. Hardjono and J. Seberry, Fundamentals of Computer Security, Springer-Verlag. Berlin. 2002.
- T. Hardjono and Gene Tsudik, IP Multicast Security: Issues and Directions, Tech. Rep., Annales de Telecom, July-August, 1999.